Friday, May 1, 2020

Speechless

Back in December, we were hosting our small group, sitting around chatting after our meeting.   One dear friend, who happens to be Chinese, was telling us about this terrible virus and how it was impacting her family back in China, a lockdown no less!  I blurted out with a laugh, "Oh that would never go over here in the US!"  I laughed it off and went about my life until it did indeed impact my life weeks later. 

I have been quiet here, digesting these changes.  I do not think many people could have expected this level of upheaval.  I do not feel qualified to write about such a deep topic either.  I am not able to do it justice with my writing skills.  Yet, I feel compelled to write something as this space is in part a record of my life.  Someday I would want to look back and remember these difficult times. 

I am first of all so thankful that we are all healthy at this moment in time.  We have the privilege to shelter at home. My husband is working from home.  My children are able to complete their semesters online from home.  I have a bonus time with my college students.  I am continuing to babysit as my babies have essential workers for parents.  I have food and can buy more when I need to.  I am able to worship at home with my church online.  I even have toilet paper, hee hee. 

This virus has taken from my family little in comparison to others.  My heart aches for those who have lost loved ones, jobs, homes, security, wedding days.  We have a senior who is not going to have his in-person graduation and a big celebration like his siblings.  Thankfully, he is taking it all in stride. 

I have gained a deeper degree of thankfulness for the things I find at the grocery store.  Before the pandemic, I was spoiled.  I had thousands of choices.  I could count on getting what I wanted when I wanted, how I wanted.  Spoiled!  Now, I am so happy to just have what we need and a lot of what we want.  Those early days, I was shocked to find empty shelves and being unable to find simple things like hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, eggs, milk, chicken, and many other things,  Finally, grocery stores put limits on things and we all were able to get restocked.  Just amazing.  I hope that I do not take this for granted again. 

Everyone is talking about a "new normal."  I know the world has changed.  Our state is reopening and I am eager to get back to a life that includes going to church, seeing my family, and getting a haircut. 

Take care,
Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! That is something my hubs & I have discussed too, that some of this has been good for us too in that we have never experienced lack of anything in our lives. My mother unfortunately was bitter from all the hardship she experienced in life with the depression and pinching pennies for years to come. And although like you guys, my Jeff is still able to work from home and live relatively comfortably, it does certainly make one pause, to be extra grateful, and humble in prayer that things may never be as carefree as they once were. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My now 3rd attempt to post a comment. LOL
    What a big change this virus did to our country and world,
    and even more upheaval has transpired since you posted..

    anyhoot I am back to blogging if ya wanna check me out!

    ReplyDelete