Friday, November 16, 2012

First World Problems



My week has been plagued by first world problems, you know, the kind that are annoying, but only exist because I am blessed to have a home in the first place.  Our old copper pipes, water pressure tank, and whole house water filter needed replaced.  Now there are gaping holes in three rooms that need fixed.  All these "problems" made me think about how thankful I am to have running water, a landlord with money to fix them, and skilled men to fix them.  I know that these are problems that other human beings would love to have.  Not every person has clean running water in their home.  Living here in excess skews my sense of having problems, big time.

Last night, as we made our way through a mega warehouse store, I found myself reminded of this again when they were out of a couple things that I thought I "needed!"  How many times a day do I think I need something?  Need is such an overused word!

This month, I've been writing down each day something that I am thankful for on my Facebook page.  It's been a great experience.  Each morning, I ask myself,"What am I most thankful for today?"  It's a great way to start my day!

Contentment is...

Contentment not a
fulfillment of what you want,
but the realization of what you
already have.

It is not a destination,
it is a state of gratefulness
before God.

~Joshua Harris

2 comments:

  1. Excellent definition. We are spoiled by our many conveniences, aren't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. We all think we need more than we do. Glad you are getting things fixed in your home.

    ReplyDelete