Saturday, May 12, 2012

Farm Market Season

Living in Indiana for most of my life, I know the growing season pretty well.  I know not to expect great things in early May.  However, last night I was a bit disappointed in the farm market.

Two weeks before there was a lot more offered, so I hoped it would always be so.  There were a couple of farmers there who used hoop houses to extend the season.  They did not seem to be there last night, so, I learned a lesson, to be more flexible.  Despite not finding more greens and vegetables, we did get some eggs and yogurt.  And it was a beautiful evening to be outside. 

I love the drive to the farm, too.  It's located in an area that I lived for 5 or so years when I was a little girl.  I used to ride my bike near the farm and fish in the creek with my dad.  I love this area that seems to be protected from urban sprawl, somehow.

We'll be back in a couple weeks to try again.  Next week the local city's farm market opens.  It's more like a festival, but still lots of vendors with great food.  I am looking forward to going.

Today we go get dirt to fill up the container garden and start seeds.  More on that later as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Yea, we don't get a lot of fresh produce right now either, but it will come soon enough. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like a fun place. :)

    ReplyDelete