Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Ordinary Days of Winter




Well, that was fun.  The holidays whizzed by. (Why am I always saying or thinking that time is flying by me?) Sunday we took our oldest back to his college.  Tax season busy time has begun for my dear husband.  The home scholars are back to their studies.  And now the weather has turned towards the extra bitter.  And I am working on getting the home back to order. 

So, what is keeping me busy this week?  Glad you asked!  There is a birthday to plan for and celebrate this week, my husband's.  My dear aunt who just lost her husband last month is coming for a few days, too.  We are trying to figure out how to keep warm with an electric heat pump. (What crazy person installs a heat pump in northern climates?) I am attempting to Fly with Fly Lady again.  She always helps me get back on track and into a good routine.  I am reading a few good books. Maybe I will even get around to writing a review? 

I need to figure out if blogging is still a thing that I want to do.  I was never in it for attracting great hoards of followers.  I wanted to capture our lives so that I would not forget about the days I had my babies home.  I am not a content producer, meaning I don't write to inspire others.  And then there are so few blogs that I even read these days.  Maybe my paper daily journal is enough now?  I need to think about that.  I miss the early days of blogging where there was a sense of fellowship.  It would be nice if there were blogs for mothers of older homeschool children or college-aged.  Most blogs tend to be for younger mothers.  Sadly, Facebook's popularity seems to be the death of blogging for ordinary people. 

Until next time! 


5 comments:

  1. I hope that you can find joy in the winter. We have an upcoming birthday quickly approaching and I'm not ready...ack!

    I understand the blogging thing. I found respite in my year off, but I do enjoy the past time of blogging and trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn. I don't know how I missed this one... or maybe I do, I took off my beloved links to friends and now I miss everything. I've got to put them back on.

    I do love blogging for the family journaling aspect too, but I don't think it's printable, which I wish I could print out my posts and save them that way. I agree, I miss the fellowship and sense of community that HSBlogger had and when our kiddos were little, yes, most successful blogs now still focus on the very young families. And I miss having more comments, even though I'm not in it for the comments, an occasional post might have a bunch of views, and zero comments. I find if I link it to FB, then I have way more views, but then the comments are on FB and not here.

    YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW INSPIRING YOU BLOG IS TO ME even though that's not your intention. You just have such a warm, welcoming, and real personality and it comes out in your writing. I love reading your posts! So there, haha, just when you thought about leaving blogging, I go and mess things up.

    Wishing you the best through tax season (sigh). I hope you had a nice visit with your aunt! We had a heat pump installed a couple of years ago. It saves on heating compared to the high cost of propane fuel; esp. when propane rose a couple of years ago & we paid over $1,000. Our winter electric bill last month was $207, but the heat was going constant with temps in the -18 range for a whole week straight. We run our AC on it too. I guess it saves money in the long run. We don't have to pay hardly anything in propane anymore which is a good thing.

    Wishing you the best with Flylady again. I have made up some nice cleaning plans but have yet to implement them, soon maybe, haha. And I'm backing to reading more too, in part because I'm fed up with our sometimes very slow internet. It's good to be reminded though that I enjoy books. We should do a show & tell post on the books we are reading. ttfn. Love, me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jenn, even though your goal is not to attract followers and write 'content' your godly attitude and approach to life always inspires me. I hope you keep writing, even though things are so different from the old HSBlogger days.
    I think of you and your family often; we are in a similar boat in some ways, and perhaps we should connect by email again. But I'm also not feeling very well so there is not much energy for all these things.
    I'm glad you survived the cold with your furnace out, and I hope that winter soon fades away.
    I'm not doing Fly Lady, but am trying to do a fly job everyday. That way things keep on going even when I am not able to do a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently come to that realization, too, Jenn, about the blogs. I have begun to miss our camaraderie, as well.
    Shani x

    ReplyDelete