Friday, April 27, 2012

Folks, This Ain't Normal



I recently read a really great book called, Folks, This Ain't Normal, by Joe Salatin.  I am sure there are some great reviews out there.  I don't feel qualified to write a review of such a fine book.  All I can say is that it is a thought provoking, life changing book.  I hope that lots of people read it and have a similar response, one of action. 

The most profound part of the book for me was, that the way we are living is just not sustainable.  Cheap oil is over.  The old way is broken.  I think we are going to see big changes in the near future.  Either we are going to change the way we think about resources or we, ordinary Americans, are going to be unable to afford the life style Americans have become accustomed too.  The rich will continue to have their lifestyles.  We regular people will keep feeling the pinch and drastic changes will have to occur in order to survive. 

For me, I can already see how economics will play out.  Right now, we are eating less meat than in the past, a change based on money.  Chicken is cheap, so we eat a lot of it.  I tried tofu, but could not get it right.  It's bean curd, not meat!  I'd rather just eat less meat than eat curd. 

I'd love to get chickens, as suggested in the book, but then I'd have to move.  Chickens are not allowed in my city unless you have 2 acres. That's probably something else we need to change in our society.  Why not have chickens?  

We do have a compost heap, so we aren't sending scraps to the dump, which really irritates Mr. Salatin.  I love going out there to check on the heap.  There are lots of worms doing their thing in there. 

We're also planning a small raised bed garden for this year.  We don't have a lot of sun in our yard of giant trees.  We'll grow a few favorites though. 

The main thing that I think we need to do in response to Folks, This Ain't Normal, is to go out and meet a farmer and buy his or her food.  Not just at the famers market, but make the effort.  I remember doing this as a child with my father.  Every Saturday we'd go to a small farm at get our milk.  I loved that trip.  I also learned not to touch an electric fence during one of those visits! 

Bottom line, we all can do something to bring back normal.  All it will take is enough people willing to make these changes.  Small steps can make a difference.  


5 comments:

  1. Great book isn't it? We've been trying to become 'normal' for years and have come a long ways. This book made me just realize how far.

    I reviewed it a while ago as well.
    http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/2012/03/review-folks-this-aint-normal-by-joel-salatin/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Jenn, I am sorry I have not been keeping up with you. I didn't know you had this blog!!!
    I agree. Big changes are coming for us in the middle. At about $6 a pound, I am thinking we might have to learn to do without cheese (or with a lot less of it) as well as meat. I'd NEVER spend that much for meat, even for the good cuts. We just go without steak. It's a good thing my family likes dried beans. :)
    Might have to seek out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. Thanks for the review. I also need to find a farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review Jenn! I really need to put this book on my want list, but I better read a few I just got first. Sometimes eatting right isn't as much fun, but it's oh so good for us. (as I sit here eatting my salad). I really like Mr. Salatin, if I were Queen, he'd be on my cabinet. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete